Sunday, September 21, 2014

Staying Power

Once in a while you have an experience that sears into your soul. Perhaps it is a major life event that fundamentally changes you. Or it could be as simple as a powerful answer to prayer or an experience where you learn something important from or just strongly feel the Spirit. I have had experiences both great and small that have profoundly and deeply touched my very soul.

In the moment of these experiences and, to varying degrees, the time just after the event, I am so committed to living to my fullest potential and being so dedicated to living according to all the truth I know. But as time goes by, inevitably, I get lazy. The iron clad grip the experience puts on my determination slackens. I suppose it is just human nature. But I want to find ways to keep this from happening. Maybe it isn't possible to keep it from happening. Maybe that is why we need to be always seeking and knocking and asking so that we have more soul touching experiences to keep us going in our determination.

What I have tried to do to keep these experiences with me is to write them down. Also I do share them with others in lessons or conversations when they are applicable and when I feel prompted to share them. This does help. I also do consciously "Remember" many of them when I am feeling weak or challenged. I remind myself when my faith is feeling faint of the MANY answers to prayers I have been given and the miracles I have seen in my life.

But I want to do more. I want to feel more of these experiences in my life. I the effects of them to last longer and I want to build on their momentum. Is that possible?

Maybe just writing this out will help me lose the laziness and recommit myself to be more mentally and emotionally engaged in my daily spiritual workouts or prayer and scripture study.

What do you do to keep those fires burning once you have had a spiritual fireball sear your soul?

2 comments:

tasha said...

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for all that you have shared on your blog. Your story is touching. I recently came across your blog through the Sullengers. I loved this post because I think we all at times feel spiritually dry and need to recommit ourselves to increase our faith. I feel inspired by others as they share their hope.

I also wanted to ask you if you would ever be willing to share your story on our website. It's called Real Imprints (www.realimprints.org). We are dedicated to uplift, inspire, and empower people around the world. We feel that everyone has a story and that our stories can be used for good and to inspire others….inspire them that they too can do hard things, inspire them to have faith, inspire them to connect with others that have gone through similar things.

I wanted to invite you to share your story on Real Imprints and feel like it would bless many! Here is a link with a little more information about submitting a story, http://realimprints.org/submit-stories/. Please let me know if you'd be interested and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! My names Tasha and my email is tasha@realimprints.org!!! Thanks so much

Dear Addi said...

Thank you for your blog. I have been following it for a while. As I read your blog and others like it, I felt the increasingly strong prompting that a big trial was coming my way. I assumed I had been led to you blog because it quite possible could be the loss of someone that I love. I was wrong. Nine months ago, my husband revealed to me that he had a massive hidden sex addiction that led him to three affairs. He was a member of the Stake Presidency at the time. Oh, the anguish. It was as bad as a death (some say worse). He was excommunicated.

I too felt that spiritual reawakening in the aftermath of that revelation. I felt the searing love that comes with forgiveness. I felt my Heavenly Father and His angels race in to help and support...they were so tangible it felt like I could touch them. I was strong, focused, determined to survive and to save my marriage.

Nine months later, I can feel that resolve start to slip. I still love my husband and we are working towards an amazing marriage once the healing has finished but that power that I felt in the months following that trama seems to be waning on my part. I want to feel that again. I don't know where it went or why all of a sudden, after eight months of struggling but winning, month nine seems so hard. I need to rededicate my life to that spiritual transformation that I had then. I need to remember those feelings and that love that I felt for my husband and from my Heavenely FAther at the beginning of this trial. I felt more spiritually "awake" during those devastating moments and sadly, those "awake" feelings have dwindled.

I love your blog. I feel like watching you go through what I considered one of the worst trials a person could face with such courage and grace inspired me and I feel in a way, prepared me for what I was going to be asked to face.