Friday, December 6, 2013

Snow or Ice? Bacteria or Virus?

This is the view I woke up to this morning. I slept up in the boys rooms first with Harrison from 1-3 then with Noble from 3-9. 

Noble has some crazy sickness. He has been complaining about his neck hurting all week. Yesterday he was in so much pain he couldn't stop crying and I discovered he also had a fever. 

I took him to the doctor and they tested for strep, mono, and did a CBC. The first two were negative but his white blood cell counts are elevated and his lymph nodes are swollen big and are painful to touch. He also couldn't turn his head or look up.

They have him 2 heavy duty shots of antibiotic and told me to come back tomorrow so they could check his blood again.

Last night we had freezing rain. It looks like snow out there but it is actually like a big solid sheet of ice all over. Only one of the doctor's offices was open due to the weather and it is 7 miles away.

So with great trepidation I headed out to ice skate my car to the doctor.

Very few people brave the roads in this kind of weather. Jon's flight was cancelled and he was told to work from home.

We made it safely to the doctor without too much trouble. Unfortunately the antibiotics didn't work. Nobles white blood cell count was higher today and his lymph nodes are still huge and his neck still hurts and he still has a fever.

The doctor said it was probably some crazy virus. He gave us a antibiotic to take just in case and told us to watch him and come back if he gets any worse.

So we are waiting and watching.

I am grateful for modern medicine even though they haven't figured everything out yet.

I am also grateful for the beauty of this snowy icy day.

Christmas lights beneath  light the hard packed ice.


Simply Shannon said...

So awful to have sick children without a diagnosis. My infant granddaughter is in the hospital with some sort of infection. Meningitis tests negative, thanks be to God! Has your doctor considered meningitis? Symptoms match my research. Prayers for quick healing.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've commented on your blog in years, but I'm shocked they didn't consider meningitis. I would take him to the ER now....

Jocelyn said...

Possible meningitis. Go to the ER IMMEDIATELY! Like right now. Crappy weather and all. I would not wait another minute. That should have been the first thing they tested. I am shocked. Even if he had his Meningitis shot. INSIST on being checked immediately.

We will keep him in our prayers.