Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You Know Your Kids Were Listening When...

As a family we have been reading the scriptures in the mornings before school for a couple of years now. Some mornings I feel I am talking to myself as I read and they get ready or eat breakfast. But then once in a while I get evidence that maybe something is sinking in.


Me at about 6:30 p.m. tonight: "Man I am SO tired. Geez! I am tired."


Lauren (age 4): "Me too! I can verily verily rock (on the rocking chair)."


Then yesterday in the car on the way home from school:


Ann Marie holding up a sight word certificate: "Look Mom! I passed off all the sight words."


Me: "Great job Annie. I bet that was pretty easy huh? Didn't you know all of them the first time they tested you?"


Annie: "Well yeah. Except I had to do list 7 over and over because I kept saying 'unto' instead of 'into.'"


For the record: "Verily, verily I say unto you" is in the LDS standard works (Bible, Book or Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price) 398 times. 

6 comments:

shanan said...

ha! that's pretty cute.

Here at home said...

I am laughing so hard. That is awesome. I was wondering that at one time a while back, until one night I mentioned we were going to church the next day, to which my 3 yr old asked if we were going to the abominable church.

Rebecca said...

Isn't it nice to know your hard work is paying off.

Rachelle said...

I love that. Always nice to have proof that our good efforts do pay off!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

My 3 year old wanted a turn to read last night and he blurted out "NOW BEHOLD!" and when we stopped giggling he said "The juices was not scrambled." Pretty sure he meant the Jews were scattered, but I couldn't quit laughing long enough to ask.

Rhyetta Musser said...

So, so funny! Those were great! I love hearing the kids say words that are so far above their vocabulary level--the influence of the scriptures and good books is awesome!