Sunday, January 3, 2010

Make Some Noise!

"Kids like to make noise." That is the thought that came into my mind as I listened to Lauren pounding on Jonathan's keyboard to hear each different sound it could make. Meanwhile in the adjacent bathroom Sabrina and Ann Marie are taking a bath and laughing and playing with each other ... loudly. Jonathan is laying on the floor at the foot of our bed and I am on our bed watching Lauren experimentally pound away.


Kids like to make noise and right in that moment there was quite a bit of noise - even with Noble sleeping. I imagined how loud it would be if he were awake and either crying or "talking." I don't always do well with a lot of noise. Sometimes I think it is going to drive me crazy.


Then I thought about the days before Jonathan and I had children. I imagined us there with no children. Just the two of us laying on the bed and the floor. "How boring," I thought. I am amazed that together Jon and I have built up this little noise making crew. And then I felt grateful for the noise. It fills my life. Even the crying. Sometimes when Noble is crying and I feel I am going to go crazy I remind myself how desperately I wanted to hear Camille cry in the hospital. Then I am thankful for the crying.


Today I welcome the noise. The pounding, the playing, the laughter, and the tears. It is the soundtrack to a mother's life. I will have plenty of quiet years in the future. But for now I am enjoying the life represented by the noise.

9 comments:

Rach said...

Well said, Steph. Noise, the music of our lives. :o)

Happy New Year!

Sharon said...

I have a plaque on our door that says, "Please excuse the noise and mess. Kids are making happy memories". It really is true, although my 3yo is being especially loud today. He's probably missing the normal 3 hours of church since we had a special meeting. I can't wait for the meltdown next week when he realizes that he doesn't get to go to nursery anymore. :-(

Diana Lesjak said...

So true... sad when its quiet, but then grand-babies happily fill in the noises and make your heart happy all over again!

Angela said...

I agree. My sister and her kids just left town to return home. Her daughters are adorabe but full of energy. I miss the sounds already of cousins laughing and screaming for joy! Someday they will all be grown up and we will want it back.

Megan Dougherty said...

Jay and I were just talking about the same thing this morning. The girls were extra talkative and were following us everywhere. Maybe we are being prepared for the cries of #3 which will add additional "Music" to our ears! What blessings they are!

e said...

wonderful reminder... tonight I thought I would go nuts with the noise of hungry baby, charlotte tugging on me, and berk and stella wrestling. I need to enjoy my soundtrack!!

B. Fidler said...

Hi Stephanie,
I tried contacting you through email a few weeks ago, but am not sure if you received my message. I am hosting an online fundraiser for my friend, Marky Jeans. You can read more about him at www.prayformarky.blogspot.com. I was really impressed with how you set up the online auction for the Emily Jones Memorial Fund. I can no longer find those posts on your blog. Can you offer any advice on how to post items for bid on Marky's auction?
Best,
Bryanne
bryannefidler@gmail.com

Kathy said...

When my third daughter was 8, we addded twin girls to our family. Our plans for an empty nest were pushed back by quite a few years. those twin girls just turned 16 and I'm dreading the thought of an empty nest. We do have 3 grandchildren now, that keep things hopping. Ahhh, the seasons of our lives!

Keri Lyn @ She Saved said...

I just found your blog...and I am truly in awe of you and your amazing strength and faith. I want to go wake my kids up (it took me forever to get them to bed, lol) and hug them and hold them and have them make some noise. I am so bummed that I missed your auction for Emily ~ I live in Idaho and that story really touched me as well. You are doing wonderful things for the hearts of mothers by sharing your message ... and your beautiful little Camille must be so very proud of the honor that you have given her memory. Love, Hugs and Blessings to you! (and thank you...) Keri Lyn