Sunday, April 19, 2009

Birthday for an Angel

As the last hour of Camille's birthday slips into yesterday, I am reflective and unable to sleep with the jumble of thoughts in my head. Overall, I would say it has been a wonderful day. I feel I have a better idea now of how I want to spend this day every year. There were some special moments today that I want to make annual traditions. There were some parts that while nice this year, I don't feel I need to continue to do.

A few of the highlights for me were eating oatmeal with the girls this morning and singing Happy Birthday to Camille with them. Oatmeal was one of Camille's favorite foods. I really felt Camille with us this morning. I felt her happy and smiling and present. 

We all wore blue today and wore our Camille bracelets and necklaces. I loved that. We finished opening our "Easter eggs" that were meant to be done between Easter and Camille's birthday. I loved our activities. One of them was to draw pictures of what the day will be like when Jesus comes again. I loved our girls pictures. Annie's had all of us with Jesus and Dado was petting a tiger and a bear. She also had our butterfly that died flying around in the picture.

Maybe my favorite part was the part I feel Camille inspired. We spent the day doing good deeds. Tonight when I checked my blog I read of all the good deeds you have done and I felt so cheered. I really feel like that was what Camille most wanted for her birthday. I feel like she wanted us all to make the world a better place in whatever small way we can. I think she is happy to know that her short life has inspired so many to do a little something extra to make the world, or our families better. 

Thank you all for sharing. And if you haven't done anything yet, please know that it is never too late. I loved watching my girls come up with ways to serve and Jonathan and I came up with a way to contribute as well. But I have to say that hearing of all the good acts done by all of you was the highlight of this idea. Thank you so much.

Now I am off to read and hope my reading will take me to dreamland. 


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for months. Your faith, testimony and knowledge have brightened my life. In honor of Camille's birthday I made a much needed visit to my grandparents to scatter sunshine. A heartfelt thank you for your blog. You are a wonderful mother!

Anonymous said...

I too did a few things in honor of Camille. I read to my kids longer and cherished the moments with them. I also contacted a family member, and tried to get a deeper connection with her. We wrote letters to family members who don't live nearby. (Not emails!) We also planted some beautiful blue flowers. (I confess these were actually for us, but with Camille's beautiful in eyes in mind.)

Shanan said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Angel.

Amanda said...

I haven't, as yet, done my service but I have an appt. to donate plasma in her honor.

Anonymous said...

I wrote a letter to my brother who is on a mission in Palmyra, NY yesterday. He has been gone for only a month and I know I should have written sooner...but I guess a month isn't too late, right? :)

Nicole Hunt said...

I let my kids play outside about an hour and a half later than usual. A little late getting to bed, but so worth the extra fun & happiness. :) Happy Birthday sweet girl!

Anonymous said...

I experienced such joy in participating in the Random Acts of Kindness Drive honoring Camille. I hope the kindesses that I displayed to others brought them joy as well.

I have to say that during church service I passed a note about Camille and the Random Acts of Kindness. I loved watching the bobbing heads nod in positive response that they too would participate.

Anonymous said...

The LDS Newsroom just released a statment about the 2009 Day of Service and I thought about you.

http://dayofservice2009.org/


For the administration of the service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;

2 Corinthians 9:12

EMILY said...

Steph, I am so glad it turned out to be a good day for you. I have had it on my calendar and was a little worried about you as it approached.

I want to see a picture of all of your hands together with your camille bracelets on!

janelle said...

My act of service was completely letting go and forgiving. And doing light massage on my patient's belly during natural labor, thinking of you! :) I thought it was pretty nice!

I have been so excited since we spoke! I hope you use my phone number whenever you might need it!! :)

Kassie said...

I hadn't read your blog for a couple weeks. I had no idea it was Camille's birthday week. Yet, I felt inspired to do a few random acts of kindness (out of my ordinary)--mostly for my kids: suprise ice cream trip, extra patience, really enjoying some quality time with my youngest. That might seem like a stretch to call it 'service' but the point is, in my mind and heart, I was making mindful decisions to be EXTRA kind and gentle to my kids.
I'll look for more act of service in the days ahead in honor of YOU and Camille...
I was taken back that Sunday was Camille's birthday. Greek Easter, also, fell on Sunday this year. We spent the day with my big Greek family enjoying each other, our traditions, the warmth of the sun. At some time during the day, almost everyone noted what a 'perfect' day it had been.

My lil' angel missionary might be helping with my extended family, too. To that, I am thankful.

Happy Birthday Camille.

Kassie said...

note: I don't think that I made it very clear that Greek Easter was on April 19th, 2009, THIS year. It's a different date every year.

Anonymous said...

I too have been following your blog for quite awhile. Today I read to my kids an extra book and spent a little more quality time with them. A friend of mine has had a lot going on so I offered to take her children for the day so she could have a much needed break. We also went on a family walk together to appreciate the little things. I also put a challenge out to many to also do random acts of kindess in honor of Camille. Just before bed I said a prayer for your family that you will feel the peace of those who are celebrating Camille all over the country.

pinon family said...

In honor of your sweet Camille I put together 20 blank letters, stamped them and addressed them to our sweet Bishops wife. I handed them out in church and told several women to write something nice to her and send them on a chosen day. So for the next several weeks she'll receive a letter each day from someone in our ward. Happy Birthday Camille

Anonymous said...

This isn't much, but really made me feel great today! I have been VERY sick the last couple months with pregnancy #3. I cannot get up and do dishes, laundry, dinner, etc. My wonderful husband has done it all. Today, in honor of Camille, I gathered all my strength, held my breath, and threw a dinner into the crockpot. Can't wait to see my husband's face when he comes home to see he gets a night off!

Thanks for the extra push to help me do something that I've been trying so hard to do for weeks now. Happy birthday sweet little angel!

Anonymous said...

I've made a commitment to being a nicer driver (and I live in Los Angeles so that can be tough!). I let people go ahead of me, keep my patience, etc. And everytime I do one of those little things I think of Camille! Happy Birthday to her. =)