Sunday, February 15, 2009

LV Singles Conference

Yesterday I presented a workshop class on blogging at the LDS Las Vegas Singles Conference. Most of the audience of about 150 people did not really know much about blogs. We spent a good bit of time talking about what a blog is, the different kinds of blogs out there, the potential uses of blogs, and the benefits of blogging.

I also shared some of my personal story and how blogging has so blessed my life. Few people in the room knew who I was or what my last year has been like. Today marks 8 months since Camille died. Yesterday, I told the audience about the inspiration I got the made me feel I needed to start blogging. Then I told them how great a blessing this blog turned out to be when just a short while later my daughter died.

I still can't get those words out of my mouth without crying. Somehow saying them out loud brings the reality of it rushing back at me.  It took me a minute of two to compose myself as I talked about how this blog helped me cope and communicate at that time and how it has been a wonderful vehicle for recording the feelings and events and blessings that have come to our lives through this all too difficult experience.

The experience presenting this has made me rather reflective and a bit somber. I was glad to have the experience, but I am glad to be done with it too. It was difficult to prepare for not knowing how much my audience would know about blogs.

I was grateful today to have a great lesson in our Young Women's class at church on being happy. That is a lesson I need frequently. Sometimes in our lives, it takes a lot of work to be happy. This for me is one of those seasons. But I am glad for reminders to be busily engaged in this work.

My friend Chris Herrin, the pastry chef at the Bouchon Bistro in the Venetian Hotel, also presented a couple of workshops yesterday. I will be posting the recipes he gave out soon. His workshop was by far the most yummy of the day I am sure. Watch for that post in the future!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so awesome! I think it's great that you are teaching people what an incredible tool blogging can be. I just started blogging maybe 6 months ago and already I've met so many amazing people and am inspired daily by those people.

There is so much out there and there are so many blessings to be found in the blogging community.

Anonymous said...

Well done Stephanie. I can only imagine how hard it would have been to collect yourself and move forward with your presentation.

Love to you

Jane

Anonymous said...

These conferences sure do sound interesting -- it's great to have such a wide range of topics too! It seems that your Church does so much to make its members feel like they belong - that's a feeling almost everyone seeks. It's also a great reminder that we are all part of something so much bigger.

I am so happy that you shared the word about blogging. Your blog has been such an inspiration, comfort and source of information for me and .. I know I speak for many others.

Congrats on a job well done, Stephanie!

love 'n hugs,
kathryn_m

Catherine Noorda said...

i'm sure your talk on blogging was so great and so inspiring. i'm so surprised that many people didn't know anything about blogging. i guess blogging is such a mommy thing. i can't wait for the yummy dessert recipes. maybe i'll try one if it's not too hard.

Alisha said...

I inadvertently found your blog about 10 days after Camille's passing....I was relatively new to blogging and linked your blog from a friend of a friends. Anyway...I have been reading ever since, I was hooked! To me a blog is just like a journal....and since a journal is so important in our life..a blog can be too. The difference is...a journal can take years to reach & touch someone (usually a relative after your passing)...however a blog can reach & touch someone (a relative, a stranger and immediately). Anyway, I am happy you blog for the rest of us. I am happy your blog isn't private. I am happy you are willing to share your life with us!!! =)

Rita W said...

Yesterday made a month since we lost our little boy... It seems to be getting more difficult every day.

I'm so sorry to read about your daughter. None of us should have to lose our little ones so early in their lives.

Sharolynn said...

Your presentation gave me the courage to start my own blog. It's still under construction, but you might want to see what you started: www.superhero-life.blogspot.com.